Sunday, July 17, 2005

10 inches

thursday i pulled 250 feet of pipe at work (we're putting a pull pipe in place and then pulling fiber optics in place). I heard 2k or 3k $ for someone to do it and i volunteered. it'll take me about 10 hours of work, but that is just crazy. 3k?
well, while in the ceiling/floor (it's between floors) i really only have about 18 inches to crawl through, and you have the floor bracing every 2 feet, insulation, pipes, HVAC, ect - and i found out I can skinny THROUGH a space about 10" high by 18 inches wide. is that crazy or what?

today i was volunteering for some HVAC work at the new chuch addition, and we were in a tight spot so the leader dude looked at me and asked me if I wanted to crawl INSIDE the hvac system to put calking on a few holes we could not get to from the outside. this tin tube was BALANCED on an 18"-on-center floor beam, less then the lenght of my foot high (about 9 inches high), and about 2 feet wide - i crawled in. awesome. i'm a snake.

2 Comments:

Blogger k2h said...

thats disturbing. I guess all those years in hazmat removal payed off. they taught you to not only go after things no one else will touch for anything less than a decent paycheck, (and you'll do it for nothing) but also how to put your self in a very hazardous situation (confined space) and think its fun. I hope they had a rope on you and if they didn't, I hope they were willing to cut the HVAC out if you got stuck.

7/18/2005 07:54:00 AM  
Blogger forkev said...

actually they just sent me in with some costic goo in a calk gun and walked away. man that stuff stank.

7/18/2005 07:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home