Saturday, April 02, 2005

blown computer

for quite sometime i've tried to install xp sp2 on my computer.
EVERY TIME it has locked up my computer. screen freeses, numlock/capslock/scroll lock don't light up on keyboard, and mouse just looks at you dumb.
about a week ago i decided i wanted to play serious sam, and after launching the game, my compute would freeze. i decied to get to the bottom of this, once and for all.
i backed up and went to do a full reinstall of xp on top of it's self and that would lock up every time the installer from disk was ALMOST ready to start after copying all the files for 5 minutes.
so after trying a clean install and getting the same symptom, i deciede to take the primary hd off line and see if it was a hardware problem. nope - same symptom with second hd set to primary.
as i'm lookint at my 3 hard drives and thinking, i notice this metal clip that had been over the p4 cpu now lying on my VIDEO CARD (i've a tower case) - it had broken off and dropped onto the back of the video card. who knows how long it's been there. what on earth - after having open metal shorting out the video card, this explains the instabilty. odd thing is, it shows up in sp2 install but not just surfing the internet. i've concluded something on the motherboard is fried and have given up trying to solve the issue and HOPE my windows install does not self corrupt as i know there is now no way to install it with the current configuration.
i even went as far to take the existing video card out (and all the other cards) put in aother video card and STILL the symptons existed. chalk one up for dumb luck. this, coupled with subaru made for an inturesting week. i sure am looking foward to that cruise, and happy we're not driving.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i just find it hard to believe that you wanted to install sp2, multiple times no less! i did that once and had to move computers. which reminds me that i need to back up my computer.

4/02/2005 06:32:00 PM  
Blogger forkev said...

ms is threateing to reduce the availablity of updates if you don't regester your OS with them. i don't intend to register so i wanted to tank up on updates before they flip the switch.

4/04/2005 01:35:00 PM  
Blogger k2h said...

dude.. I had the EXACT same problem with my old PIII computer. it would run xp but I never could install. it froze up about 1/2 way through the installation. always at the same place. I was convinced my processor was fried, or something was majorly screwed, but I'm now fairly confident (after upgrading it to a p4 2.4ghz) that I could have fixed the old system with a new POWER SUPPLY. yeah.. sounds stupid huh?! but I think it was a power requirement that was making the uP lock up.. try a new power supply!

4/05/2005 06:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home